Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Baby Steps and Giant Leaps

Tomorrow morning, my sweet baby girl will be a year old.  I knew that the first year or two would go fast, but I had no idea that it would be this fast. Over the course of the past month, our daughter has changed significantly. Not only has she begun walking and talking, but she has grown from a baby into a little girl in a way that leaves me wondering where the time went and when exactly she grew so much...I mean, I was watching her the whole time! At the same time, I love it. I love seeing how she changes and the new things she can do. She is able to interact with us more and more. Her personality is really shining through!

She isn't the only one who has grown and changed over the course of the past year. Being a parent has made me a more patient teacher. Each of my students is someone's baby, someone's pride and joy. I think I smile more. I can definitely do more things with just one hand and carry a lot more at once. I can wake up in the night and function half-asleep more easily. Also I learned how to resist sneezing at inopportune times, which is a very useful skill (breathe in through your mouth and blow out hard through your nose a few times). I have become more brave, like squishing spiders myself (sometimes, when they are coming at my daughter). Okay, maybe I am still not very brave. Parenting in general has given me greater respect for other parents I know, and has humbled me. I look at the Proverbs 31 woman and wonder how she does it all! I have learned to appreciate each day more.


I have also grown much closer to my littlest sister over the past year. She sacrificed nearly a year of her busy teen life to move 2 hours away several days a week to watch my baby while I work and practice hymns on my out-of-tune piano. She is 17 and absolutely amazing. She will be a phenomenal wife and mother someday. On the days when my sister can't be here, my friends have graciously stepped in. I am so thankful that I was able to leave my daughter with family and friends - it truly gives me peace of mind when I am working.

I have also grown much closer to my husband. He is a wonderful father and our daughter is crazy about him. There are so many times that I need to hear his voice of reason when I can't think straight about what to do.






So, tomorrow is a milestone. We'll have her party on the weekend with my family, but we will do something special tomorrow evening too. It is strange to think that at 3am last year, we saw her sweet little face for the first time...



And yes, I know that she will be getting married before I know it...but there's time enough for that!




Quite possibly the last snowman of the year - in May.




No comments:

Post a Comment