Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cleaning the Shower Doors a New Way

We are blessed to live in an adorable little cabin. We are so happy and comfortable here, and the complaints that I have are few and far between. One of the things that has taken me a while to get used to is the fact that our shower has glass doors instead of a curtain. I am happy that the doors keep the cats (and baby) out of the shower but I feel that they always look dirty. To make matters worse, the shower doors are located directly in front of the toilet, so it is easy to see when they haven't been recently cleaned.

Dirty Shower Door...kind of gross, right?
As I am becoming more and more aware of the chemicals in our home, I am trying to make a concerted effort to change little by little to a more healthy lifestyle by switching to natural alternatives, especially for cleaning products. I had previously been using a bathroom spray that was so strong that I had to hold my breath in the bathroom when I was using it and run frequently into the hall or to the open window to breath. The spray worked like a charm on soap scum, but I was concerned about how harsh it seemed. I then tried switching to white vinegar. The doors looked great while they were wet, but as they dried I could see that the water marks were still there. After that experiment failed I did some digging online and found a suggestion so easy that I had to try it.




Here is what you do: You fill a kitchen sponge that has a reservoir with a mixture of dish soap and white vinegar. Scrub away at the scum on the shower doors. Rinse with hot water to get rid of the bubbles. Done.














I decided to use the ultra concentrated Dawn that we already own. I have switched to a more natural dish liquid, so I was happy to find another use for the Dawn. I wasn't sure of proportions so I just put in a single generous squirt and then filled the rest with white vinegar. I was surprised that cleaning the doors didn't take more elbow grease than it did. Using the sponge, I could feel when the glass became clean and smooth. Rinsing was very easy. As the shower doors dried, I could easily see any areas that I missed because the difference was amazing! I am happy to say that I will not be returning to the world of the fumes!! I have included pictures of the comparison so that you can hopefully see how well this method really works.

Shower door before cleaning
Shower door after cleaning


What other cleaning items can be replaced by safer alternatives? Please share your tips!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment